Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Social Security and Medicare

For some reason, there seems to be some grand conspiracy to group Social Security and Medicare together. I can understand why Republicans do it; they want to end both, and Social Security looks bad when it's attached to the much less stable Medicare.

Even the biggest alarmists over Social Security say it will "go bankrupt" (which isn't an accurate term) in decades, not years. Medicare is much more fragile, since it isn't funded in the same way. The Republican description of "Social Security and Medicare" facing a crisis is rather like saying "My housing bill and Medicare are in crisis". While technically true, (my housing fund cannot pick up the slack in a federal program), the statement is essentially a lie.

So it's clear why Republicans talk that way. The thing that mystifies me is why the "liberal" media uses the same terminology. Not that I think the media is secretly a Republican operating system, I just think they're lazy.

Anyway, I forgot what I was trying to get at with all this.

----------------
Now playing: The Beatles - Mother Nature's Son
via FoxyTunes

No comments: