Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Shakespeare: Henry IV: Part II

Don't let the name fool you: Henry IV, Part II, is actually about Henry V, then Prince Henry. He transforms from an irresponsible youth to a proud and upstanding King, presumably from the death of his father.

I once heard an author talking about George Bush as a Henry V, trying to expand upon his father's name. I'll explore that in the post on Henry V proper, unless I forget to.

Some good quotes:

Rumour: "They bring smooth comforts false, worse than true wrongs."

Falstaff: "I am not only witty in myself, but the cause that wit is in other men" ie. not only am I good at making jokes, but people make good jokes about me too.

King Henry: "Uneasy lies the head that wears the crown." This line is part of a larger speech in act III, scene I. It and the other speech in the same scene are fantastic.

Prince Henry: "Oh, majesty! When thou dost pinch thy bearer, thou dost sit like a rich armour worn in heat of day, that scalds with safety."

In fact, all of Act IV, Scene IV, is good.

Act III, Scene II has a goofy scene where Falstaff interviews men to serve as soldiers and makes puns on their names. Shakespeare must have had some sort of pun fetish.

17 Down, 20 To Go
Next Up: King Henry V

I've been reading a little of Henry V, and it's good. One speech has two very good quotes. More later.

No comments: