Saturday, November 08, 2008

Some Thoughts On The New Star Wars Cartoon

This new Star Wars cartoon is actually rather fun. I don't know if you've seen the latest episode, but it looks like they've done another layer of graphics. The models are improved, and so is the lighting. Even the humans don't look too bad any more, and the spaceships and robots look genuinely good.

Some random thoughts:

  • I'm falling in love with General Grievous. He's so deliciously over the top, he cracks me up. Whenever he encounters a setback, get ready for an "Impossible!" delivered in the classic super villain style.
  • I know that it's a tradition to say it, but when your spaceship is on fire, and you're about to crash, you don't get to say "I have a bad feeling about this." You don't have a bad feeling; you're on fire.
  • Asoka still hovers between being a good character and being more annoying than she's worth. I think she's making positive progress though.
  • Speaking of Asoka, it seems like the only way her story can be resolved is with her death. I understand this part of the canon isn't really defined, so we'll see.
  • Why must the droids be stupid and insolent?
  • I'm impressed by the show's willingness to have a pretty large cast and a setting that spans over a lot of plots and subjects. I'd have expected less from a 22 minute cartoon.
  • Is there some law that expansion material for the show can only exist between Star Wars II and III?

No comments: