Thursday, November 29, 2007

300 post spectacular!

This is my 300th post. I wanted to do something special, but I couldn't think of anything special to do. That's why it's been a while since my last update. I ended up deciding to do a multi-post: several of my themes wrapped up into one big post.

Shakespeare: Richard III

This has the best writing of any of the plays to date. If you only have a minute to look it over, I would strongly advise you to look at the scene with the two murderers. It is easy to find: just press ctrl+f on the Project Gutenberg page and type in "FIRST MURDERER". That should get you to the right general area.

Anyway, good play. It fits the space idea even better than the previous plays. The bit with the murderers is quite funny, I don't know how well that would translate to the space opera since their argument is largely about their religion.

Why I Won't Be President: Soldiers

In America, soldiers are idolized for some reason. Soldiers generally go to war because they hope to get money, and a future assured of potential security. In fact, soldiers tend to be less intelligent and "good" than an average non-soldier. This is mainly because soldiers are younger than an average person, and therefore less knowledgeable, and because soldiers are put in a situation that is detrimental to ethics.

Soldiers are not universally bad or stupid, but there's no reason to respect their opinion or hail them universally as heroes.

(If that doesn't kill any chances I have of getting into politics, I don't know what will.)

No comments: