Saturday, May 26, 2007

Neverwinter Nights 2: Re-Review

Neverwinter Nights 2 is a good game until you get to the last chapter. No, that's not entirely accurate: the game gets worse as you go. That's a much better description. One of the many little frustrating things of the last portion of the game is that every single enemy you fight is undead. This means that many abilities are worthless: sneak attack, critical hits, ranger's favored races, and so on.

Maybe the particular problem is unique to me, but when I got to the last dungeon, the AI of my allies simply ceased working. The NPCs would do nothing at all without orders. I lost several characters at the entrance to the dungeon, since they died without resistance before I realized what the problem was.

The last dungeon doesn't let you rest to recharge your spells and HP, either. Instead, whenever you try to rest, a group of (presumably ninja) mummy lords materializes around you. This meant that my wizard, in particular, became worthless pretty quickly once he ran out of high level spells.

Anyway, if you are interested in NWN 2, keep in mind that once you're done making your character, it's all downhill from there. (Not that making the character isn't fun).


PS: I don't know if I mentioned this in the previous review, but the loading times are criminal. It was to the point where I felt I should be playing some other game while waiting for the next zone to load.

No comments: