Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Census Summary

In the Census, the problem isn't the people who haven't filled out the Census; they're almost universally supportive. The problem is management. I'm not talking about the people directly above me, which I have direct contact with, they're fine and very supportive as well.

I'm talking about the distant management, which only has communication through paperwork and unreasonable demands through anonymous memos. In a way, I don't blame them. They have a job to do, but they don't know how to do it. Specifically, they have to ensure that all the Census forms are collected by a certain date, but they can't just go and fill them out directly, that's our job. All they can do is tell us to do our job more. Since they don't understand the reality on the ground, their demands are often counter-productive or meaningless. It's not really their fault. The hardest thing to do when there's a problem is nothing.

I don't know what I'm getting at here. I guess the most interesting part is that most Respondents are very supportive and helpful.

No comments: